Today in History
January 29, 1861
An Expanding Nation
After several years of bitter fighting and bloodshed between pro-and anti-slavery advocates, the beleaguered territory of Kansas enters the Union. During the American Civil War, two-thirds of men from the new state would enlist in the Union Army. Kansas would suffer the most casualties, in proportion to its population, of any state in the Union.
Most Popular History Articles
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- The Strange and Mysterious History of the Ouija Board
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- The Mystery of Bosnia's Ancient Pyramids
- Who Was Cleopatra?
- The Dark Side of Thomas Jefferson
- 10 Lucky Celebrities Who Escaped Disaster