Today in History
January 28, 1915
A Seafaring Merger
An act of Congress merges the Revenue Cutting and Life Saving services into one military unit, the United States Coast Guard. The smallest of the armed services, the Coast Guard would serve under the Navy before being transferred to the Department of Homeland Security in 2003. Today the Coast Guard has some 40,150 active-duty members.
Most Popular History Articles
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- The Strange and Mysterious History of the Ouija Board
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- The Mystery of Bosnia's Ancient Pyramids
- Who Was Cleopatra?
- The Dark Side of Thomas Jefferson
- 10 Lucky Celebrities Who Escaped Disaster