Today in History
January 21, 1924
A Communist Icon
Vladimir Lenin, founder of the Russian Communist Party, dies at age 53 in Moscow. His corpse is embalmed and put on display in a mausoleum in the city's Red Square, where it still remains. Debate in Russian parliament over a final burial for Lenin's corpse continues today.
Most Popular History Articles
- The Man Who Wrote the Pledge of Allegiance
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- The Rise and Fall and Rise of Zahi Hawass
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- How Arlington National Cemetery Came to Be
- The CIA Burglar Who Went Rogue
- Unpack a Meal of Astronaut Space Food
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?
- Resurrecting Pompeii