Today in History
January 16, 1865
Forty Acres and a Mule
Union Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman issues Special Field Order No. 15, which grants 40 acres of tillable land, plus one Army mule, to each black family. As he advanced through the South during the Civil War thousands of freed slaves became refugees. Andrew Johnson, who became president following Abraham Lincoln’s assassination, would later order that the land be returned to property owners.
Most Popular History Articles
- The Man Who Wrote the Pledge of Allegiance
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- The Rise and Fall and Rise of Zahi Hawass
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- How Arlington National Cemetery Came to Be
- The CIA Burglar Who Went Rogue
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- Unpack a Meal of Astronaut Space Food
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?
- Resurrecting Pompeii