Today in History
January 16, 1865
Forty Acres and a Mule
Union Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman issues Special Field Order No. 15, which grants 40 acres of tillable land, plus one Army mule, to each black family. As he advanced through the South during the Civil War thousands of freed slaves became refugees. Andrew Johnson, who became president following Abraham Lincoln’s assassination, would later order that the land be returned to property owners.
Most Popular History Articles
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- The Early History of Football’s Forward Pass
- The Strange and Mysterious History of the Ouija Board
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- Native Intelligence
- The Mystery of Bosnia's Ancient Pyramids
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- Who Was Cleopatra?