Today in History
January 11, 1902
Popular Mechanics makes its first appearance on newsstands in Chicago. During the publication's first few years, its founder, newspaperman Henry Haven Windsor, would write all of its articles. The science and technology magazine ran the subhead "written so that you can understand it" on the cover.
Most Popular History Articles
- The Man Who Wrote the Pledge of Allegiance
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- The Rise and Fall and Rise of Zahi Hawass
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- How Arlington National Cemetery Came to Be
- The CIA Burglar Who Went Rogue
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?
- Unpack a Meal of Astronaut Space Food