Today in History
January 09, 1793
Up and Away
Ascending from present-day Independence Square in Philadelphia with President George Washington looking on, French inventor Jean-Pierre Blanchard conducts the first balloon flight in North America. About 46 minutes later, he lands 15 miles away in Woodbury, New Jersey.
Recent History Videos
Most Popular History Articles
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- Myths of the American Revolution
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- The True Story of the Battle of Bunker Hill
- The History of the Short-Lived Independent Republic of Florida
- 8 Famous People Who Missed the Lusitania
- We Had No Idea What Alexander Graham Bell Sounded Like. Until Now
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?