Today in History
January 09, 1793
Up and Away
Ascending from present-day Independence Square in Philadelphia with President George Washington looking on, French inventor Jean-Pierre Blanchard conducts the first balloon flight in North America. About 46 minutes later, he lands 15 miles away in Woodbury, New Jersey.
Most Popular History Articles
- Native Intelligence
- The Early History of Football’s Forward Pass
- What Was on the Menu at the First Thanksgiving?
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- The Mystery of Bosnia's Ancient Pyramids
- The Strange and Mysterious History of the Ouija Board
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- 10 Lucky Celebrities Who Escaped Disaster
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?