Today in History
January 08, 1835
Under President Andrew Jackson, the national debt shrinks to zero. Almost a year later, the debt would only reach $33,733, but then quickly grow into the millions again. The United States has had public debt since its inception and today it's more than $9 trillion.
Most Popular History Articles
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- Myths of the American Revolution
- When an Army of Artists Fooled Hitler
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- We Had No Idea What Alexander Graham Bell Sounded Like. Until Now
- The True Story of the Battle of Bunker Hill
- 8 Famous People Who Missed the Lusitania
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- The Law that Ripped America in Two