Today in History
January 08, 1835
Under President Andrew Jackson, the national debt shrinks to zero. Almost a year later, the debt would only reach $33,733, but then quickly grow into the millions again. The United States has had public debt since its inception and today it's more than $9 trillion.
Most Popular History Articles
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- The Strange and Mysterious History of the Ouija Board
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- The Mystery of Bosnia's Ancient Pyramids
- Native Intelligence
- Who Was Cleopatra?
- The Dark Side of Thomas Jefferson