Today in History
January 02, 1974
President Richard Nixon sets the speed limit to 55 mph nationwide to help conserve gasoline during the oil embargo. In 1995, this federal law would be repealed and states would once again be allowed to regulate their own speed limits.
Most Popular History Articles
- The Man Who Wrote the Pledge of Allegiance
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- The Rise and Fall and Rise of Zahi Hawass
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- How Arlington National Cemetery Came to Be
- The CIA Burglar Who Went Rogue
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- Unpack a Meal of Astronaut Space Food
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?
- Resurrecting Pompeii