Today in History
January 02, 1974
President Richard Nixon sets the speed limit to 55 mph nationwide to help conserve gasoline during the oil embargo. In 1995, this federal law would be repealed and states would once again be allowed to regulate their own speed limits.
Most Popular History Articles
- The Early History of Football’s Forward Pass
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- Native Intelligence
- The Strange and Mysterious History of the Ouija Board
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?
- What Was on the Menu at the First Thanksgiving?
- The Mystery of Bosnia's Ancient Pyramids
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII