Today in History
January 01, 1985
New York becomes the first state in the nation to enact a mandatory seat belt law. Four months later, automobile fatalities in the state would decrease 19 percent and seatbelt usage would increase 41 percent. In most states it's now illegal to ride in a car without a seatbelt.
Most Popular History Articles
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- The Strange and Mysterious History of the Ouija Board
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- The Mystery of Bosnia's Ancient Pyramids
- Who Was Cleopatra?
- The Dark Side of Thomas Jefferson
- 10 Lucky Celebrities Who Escaped Disaster