Today in History
January 01, 1985
New York becomes the first state in the nation to enact a mandatory seat belt law. Four months later, automobile fatalities in the state would decrease 19 percent and seatbelt usage would increase 41 percent. In most states it's now illegal to ride in a car without a seatbelt.
Most Popular History Articles
- The Early History of Football’s Forward Pass
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- Native Intelligence
- The Strange and Mysterious History of the Ouija Board
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?
- What Was on the Menu at the First Thanksgiving?
- The Mystery of Bosnia's Ancient Pyramids
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII