Today in History
January 01, 1985
New York becomes the first state in the nation to enact a mandatory seat belt law. Four months later, automobile fatalities in the state would decrease 19 percent and seatbelt usage would increase 41 percent. In most states it's now illegal to ride in a car without a seatbelt.
Most Popular History Articles
- The Man Who Wrote the Pledge of Allegiance
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- The Rise and Fall and Rise of Zahi Hawass
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- How Arlington National Cemetery Came to Be
- The CIA Burglar Who Went Rogue
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?
- Unpack a Meal of Astronaut Space Food
- Resurrecting Pompeii