Today in History
May 18, 1980
Thar She Blows!
At 8:32 a.m an earthquake causes the entire north side of Mount St. Helens in Washington State to fall away exposing the volcano to lower pressure. Mount St Helens reacts with devastating effect, exploding into a mixture of pulverized lava and rock. Volcanic ash blasts high into the atmosphere showering eleven states with ash. Fifty-seven people and thousands of animals are killed and 200 homes are destroyed.
Today's Feature History Article
A trip to Mount Erebus yields a rare, close-up look at one of the world's weirdest geological marvels
Recent History Videos
Most Popular History Articles
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- Myths of the American Revolution
- The True Story of the Battle of Bunker Hill
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- 8 Famous People Who Missed the Lusitania
- The History of the Short-Lived Independent Republic of Florida
- We Had No Idea What Alexander Graham Bell Sounded Like. Until Now
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?