The Destruction of Charleston in the Civil War
Visitors to the South Carolina city can still see signs of the pre-Civil War structures that were devastated by Union bombardment and a blazing fire devastated
- By Ray Gordon and Molly Roberts
- Smithsonian.com, March 23, 2011
(Library of Congress / Molly Roberts)
A wealthy Charleston family donated this plot of land in the early 1800s to be used as a marketplace, with the stipulation that it not be used for the trading of slaves. The main building, Market Hall, was erected in 1841 and modeled after the Maison Caree in southern France. Today, the building houses the Daughters of the Confederacy Museum. Behind Market Hall, spanning from Meeting Street to East Bay Street , are four open-air buildings where local vegetables and Low Country crafts are sold.